Forth Resource Management was started in 2002 with an idea that started as a college project to provide a sustainable recycling solution for the garden cuttings generated across South East Scotland. At that time the material collected by councils and landscape gardeners was either sent to landfill or burned in bonfires – a huge waste of a valuable natural resource.
We opened our first composting site at East Fenton near North Berwick in 2002 with nine others in the Borders, Lothians, Edinburgh and Central Belt being opened over the following years. As the Councils rolled out green waste collections the tonnages FRM processed grew dramatically from around 1000 tons in the first year to over 100,000 tons per year at present – the majority of which is delivered to us by East Lothian, Midlothian, Edinburgh and the Scottish Borders Council with the remainder coming from landscapers and skip hire companies.
Over the years the range of products FRM produces has grown to include a number of grades of compost and topsoil, sand blends for sports turf applications such as divot mix and root zone as well as grades of woodchip for burning in biomass boilers. We take great care in ensuring the quality of our sustainably produced range of horticultural and biomass products and this has been recognised by the Association of Organics Recycling with FRM winning the UK wide award for compost marketing and product innovation on two separate occasions.
Our five company values reflect who we are, how we operate and our aims for the future:
- Sustainable – We ensure sustainability is at the heart of our business and is key to each decision we make
- Quality – We take pride in our products and aim for excellence in everything we do
- Integrity – We are honest and fair; people trust us to do the right thing
- Growth – We continually develop through all aspects of the triple bottom line: planet, people, and profits.
- People – We truly value the people who work within, and in partnership with, FRM.